Saturday, February 04, 2006

Norwegian Traditions


This year my husband and I will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. No small feat considering more than half of marriages these days end up in divorce. So to celebrate such a wonderful milestone we decided some years ago that we would renew our vows.

Having had a beautiful and traditional wedding gown the first go round, I decided that I would attempt to have a more Norwegian traditional dress for our renewal.

My husband's family on his mother's side is from Norway and I'm a little (okay a LOT) viking/scandinavian obsessed so I'm more than willing to make the attempt.

From the research that I've done thus far, brides who seek a traditional folk wedding in Norway wear what's called a bunad, or folk dress. It's specific to the region where their family is from. My husband's family is from the Bergen area and so I was able to find what that bunad looks like thanks to some helpful info from the Husfliden website. This is a picture of it. Klaus is still up in the air on whether he wants me to make him the male version of the traditional dress.

Once I'm past all this Estrella War sewing frenzy and my Designing A Galaxy craziness I should be able to focus on making my Norwegian wedding dress!

2 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger highpowermom said...

hey girl, have you looked at folkwear patterns? They might have something you can base your design on. I like their patterns a lot.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger MJAZ said...

Actually I have my mother in-law's bunad to base my pattern of it, at least for mine, not Klaus's if he decides on traditional for himself. My father in law gave it to me a couple of years ago. It's the same design, but defintely not the same material, et al. She made it for herslef just for fun I think so it's like a twil vest with a gingham skirt so definitely not for use with traditional or ceremonial stuff. It's authentic though, patternwise so I lucked out :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home